The Proper Way to Brush Teeth
You know the importance of brushing your teeth, but do you know the proper way to brush your teeth? It seems like a silly question after all, what functioning adult doesn’t know how to brush their teeth? You might be surprised to learn that a startling number of people fail to properly brush their teeth. It’s not that you don’t care or that you failed some basic knowledge in childhood. Tooth brushing is such a second nature, lifelong habit that everyone needs a refresher course every once in a while. You know how much your dental care matters – take a few minutes to learn and reinstate the proper way to brush teeth.
Proper dental care begins with dedication to thorough brushing, daily flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash. Without these at-home habits and routine visits to your dentist, your pearly whites won’t be so white for long—plus, you risk tooth loss and a host of whole-body diseases.
The Importance of Brushing Teeth
Children can be taught the importance of brushing teeth before their first tooth even emerges, as well as shown the proper way to brush teeth:
- Brush at least twice a daily, but preferably between meals, to reduce the buildup of bacteria, plaque, and tartar in the mouth and on the teeth.
- Divide the mouth into quadrants, spending approximately 30 seconds brushing each area thoroughly on all sides. You should be brushing your teeth for at least two minutes.
- Use an ADA-approved soft-bristled toothbrush. If your child still has baby teeth, a toothbrush specially designed for children should be used. Adults may find an electric toothbrush to be an optimal choice for cleaning teeth over the manual toothbrush.
- Choose toothpaste approved by the ADA. When you are selecting toothpaste for a child, find a brand formulated especially for kids. Do not use more than a pea-sized amount, if any toothpaste at all, for children under six years of age.
- Floss before brushing, at least once per day. Flossing before brushing will loosen debris and food particles between teeth and allow the fluoride from your toothpaste to get more easily between the teeth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Palm Coast, call Oceans Dental Group today at (386) 246-7619 or make an appointment.
Oceans Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Palm Coast. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Oceans Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Oceans Dental Group.