Your Choice of Toppings – Types of Dental Crowns
Your teeth have strong and durable natural crowns, but when they are damaged or weakened by tooth decay, root canal treatment, fractures, or other injuries, you may need a permanent dental crown to restore them to full function and normal appearance. Dental crowns fit over your natural crowns to protect your vulnerable teeth and provide durable chewing surfaces. Crowns are made from many different materials, and all have their own specific strengths and weaknesses. Here are the most common types of dental crowns:
- Gold or gold alloy dental crowns are traditional choices that offer excellent durability and require less modification of the natural tooth. Gold dental crowns will not break or chip, and they cause the least amount of wear on opposing teeth.
- Other metal alloys are also used in making crowns. Combinations may include platinum, palladium, nickel, and chromium. All-metal dental crowns are more visible in the mouth and are often reserved for molars.
- Porcelain and ceramic crowns are popular because they closely match the appearance of natural teeth. Newer ceramic crowns are becoming increasingly durable, and some dental offices can make them on-site while patients wait.
- Composite resin crowns are considerably less expensive than other types of dental crowns, but they are prone to fracture and are not as durable as metal and ceramic crowns.
- Stainless steel crowns are typically used as temporary coverings for badly damaged primary teeth and first molars in children and fractured permanent incisors.
- Zirconia crowns are a versatile choice with high aesthetic value. The durable ceramic material can be made very thin and either translucent or opaque.
- A combination crown is made from more than one material. Typically, they are crafted from porcelain fused to metal. The combination makes the dental crown more durable than its ceramic peers, but it still provides a natural appearance.
How Do I Select the Right Dental Crown for Me?
The best way to choose your crown is to talk to your dentist in Palm Coast about your concerns. Your dental team can determine what type of dental crown will work best for your tooth, and they can also help you decide which types of dental crowns are the most affordable and will give you the performance and appearance you desire.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Palm Coast, call Oceans Dental Group today at (386) 246-7619 or make an appointment.
Oceans Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Palm Coast. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Oceans Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Oceans Dental Group.